Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Old Video Games? Whups.

Okay, so a few days ago the Nitsdawg (Longest unfixed type-o evar!) went on a bit (Eds: A lot) about video games. Now being Nits I'm sure he was listening to some crazy non-mainstream music at the time while he went on and on about all of the games (about 7 games or so) he played when he was younger. But he got me thinking.

I could do that! But unfortunately that would take approximatley forever to detail all the delicious videogaming I've done, on consoles and PC, so we'll move on to the slightly more topical (and shorter) sub-section of this thought.

Old video games rock.

Like all of my thoughts is a 100% true and accurate statement. Unfortunately, again like many of my thoughts, it is also incomplete. I mean, old video games rock, IN YOUR MIND. The problems crop up when you go back and play them. Now, I had this oppertunity in the last few days (right in the middle of midterms, awesome things in life have terrible timing I often find) because my parents cleaned out the attic in anticipation of getting a new roof ont he house, and lo. They found a BIG box full of software boxes. Many of them games. MANY OF THEM STILL CONTAINING THEIR SOFTWARE!!

WarCraft 2, 7th Guest, Privateer, Master of Orion (1 AND 2!), Civalization 1, and this game called Castles which had a version of its software on a 5.5" floppy (Eds: *smirk*) AND 3.5" floppy (Eds: *bigger smirk*) disks, which I remember as being "the shit" to play on the ol' P100.

Now, the thing is, I was all, "Sweet! Old video games!" and naturally picked one at random and installed MoO2. I'm glad I installed that first. I mean, I had good memories of it, but I also recall it being only 'okay'. Kinda fun a few times, but too easy on the easy difficulty and frighteningly difficult on the harder ones. But a playable game.

I installed MoO2, and I beat it. In about 3 hours. I realised that this game was REALLY dumb. Like, I've come to expect more from playing turn-based stratagy. The game is almost enitrley non-intuitive, and can you believe as a FEATURE of the second game, they included the oppertunity for a "random encounter" to come and ANNIHILATE ONE OF YOUR COLONIES with almost zero hope of survival early on in the game? Who thought of this, "I know, let's make this random encounter that, given enough bad luck, can make you lose regardless of how well you play!"

Aliens from another dimension? Super. I had 5 battleships, 4 destroyers, 17 frigates and 6 troop transports defending that system against 3 frigates of theirs... Lost every ship and didn't even kill a single one of them. Not that killing them has any benefit unless you get all of them.

Why am I glad I installed Master of Orion 2 first? Well, I'm considering NOT installing the others (definitely not 7th Guest. It is a puzzle game, only fun once anyway). I don't want modern reality to rain on my memories. I mean, what if I had installed Privateer? In my opinion THE FINEST splinter of the Wing Commander series (and superior to pretty much the enitre series, combined). What if THAT sucked. I had invested literally HUNDREDS of hours playing that game. What... if it sucked?

What would that mean?

Now, back to studying for the Quantum Mechanics midterm tommorow. Oops.

5 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, Blogger Jamieson said...

That's a very good point. And it's true about more than just video games.

Sometimes our fondest memories are best left in the past, because it's just not the same when you try to relive them.

Nice post.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger bj_nitsuj said...

Woo, shoutout to me! The...Hitsdawg? Typo? heheh...

I don't know, I can't say I agree w/ the "old games are ruined" bit. Most of the games I mentioned on my post, I can go back and play and be thoroughly entertained. Perhaps they may be slightly easier, perhaps they might even be kinda bad, but I believe that nostalgia conquers all.

Now, as for Jamieson's memory bit, I completely agree. This also includes old TV shows...like Captain Planet...sure, it's still kinda good, but it's nowhere near the awesomeness as I once believed it was.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Gautam said...

Agree completely with the post and comments. I tried playing one of the oldest video games ever: Digger. I don't know if any of you have tried it but the game is kick ass (reuben knows what I am talking about). Well it's not nearly as fun as I remember it, and I am sure many other games as well would rank the same.

I tried watching Saved by the bell and fresh prince again, and it's just not the same. The humour seems to have just dissipated but in the back of my mind, it's hard to ignore how kickass I once thought it was.

WVOTD: stfye

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Rohbit said...

An excellent example would also be "Ninja Turtles 2: secret of the ooze" a movie I loved when I was young, that when (almost) revisited, was looking to be pretty awful; and we'd only seen the first 15 minutes.

I'm glad we turned it off, I don't want my little glass orb of "Ninja Turtles are awesome" to be shattered.

You can say the same for old comic books. I was reading some of the original batman comics, and man are they ever awful. Horrid grammar, and plots involving Batman (a crimefighter) fighting vampires (supernatural beings).

On the other hand, the original (Eastman and Larid drawn/written) Turtles comics were and still are awesome! Well written, gritty, and defintely not for kids.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Gautam said...

I never really enjoyed those batman comics to begin with--archie all the way.

WVOTD: lasqzyis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home